Thursday, December 7, 2017

Seth Apter Book Cover using PaperArtsy

Happy Thursday & time for my Topflight Stamps blog post. This week the team are playing with PaperArtsy. They have some of my favorite stamps with one of my favorite artists so this was super fun. I decided to join in the challenge over on the PaperArtsy blog. The blog is full of great inspiration you can check it out here.I was really inspired by all the wonderful art on their Intro to the challenge which is here.  



This challenge is #18 the theme is "Torn, Ripped & Burnt". I decided to cover "My Favorite Book Project" book. I have done a few pages recently in this book which you can see here & here. It is getting super chunky & I am running out of space so it seems like the perfect time to put on a cover.


First off check out all the fun Christmas Specials that are going on at Topflight Stamps. From the 3rd to the 14th, there is a different deal every day!


OK back to the project. This is the book I am using, purchased from a thrift shop. I love re-purposing books that are not old or special or rare, just the ones that might otherwise end up in the trash.


The stamp set I used is Eclectica3 Set 4 by Seth Apter.


They match perfectly with Seth's Wood Chips.



Step 1: Burnt- I took a piece of slightly used watercolor paper & using a match over my kitchen sink burnt the edges of the paper. *  be super careful doing this obviously. Make sure if you have long hair put it in a pony tail. I was surprised as the paper burnt in strange patterns. I did find that even when I had blown the flame out the paper continues to burn. I think this is because watercolor paper is made from layers of paper. I used water to make sure the flame was totally out. Fun tip: the leftover match can be used to distress the edges, cause charcoal!
 


Step 2: Ripped: Well first off I am using Seth Apter's Wood Chips & their edges look ripped! Next I ripped the right upper corner of the watercolor paper, I wanted the star compass on the scrapbook paper to show.  



Step 3: To make the sunburst I spritzed water on a sheet of card stock & added PaperArtsy Infusions powder, letting it move & spread. Adding more water or powder as needed. I used a tag to mop up the excess. After drying thoroughly with a heat gun this paper was cut out using the Sunburst die. 



For the bookplate & title I used the rectangle piece from the Wood Chips, covered with some layers of Fresco Paint. The background had some stamping from the set using the paint. The edges were distressed with ink, some tiny brads added & my title using a Dynamo Label Maker. A piece of batik fabric was used as ribbon. I had also stamped randomly on the background paper. 



The main embellishment was layered using the paper cut out with the Sunburst die. This had been doodled a bit with Chalk Marker. The Wood Chip circle was heat embossed with the matching stamp pushed into the hot emboss powder. It left a great image that makes it look like metal. Once cooled the words were painted with a marker so they would stand out. The clock hand was painted with Fresco paint & the piece layered & glued. 





Thanks so much for joining me today! I hope you get a chance to play with something fun & inky today. 

Other Supplies:

  • Seth Apter Sunburst die by Spellbinders
  • PaperArtsy Fresco paint in Mud Splatter, Mermaid & Teresa Green
  • PaperArtsy Infusions in Lemoncello, Emerald Isle, & A Bit Jaded
  • Emerald Creeks Emboss in Burnt Copper
  •  Distress Ink in Walnut Stain
  • Distress Oxide in Broken China & Cracked Pistachio
  • Tim Holtz Ideology metal bits.






11 comments:

  1. Such a great cover for your book project. I have never heard of infusions...I will have to go check them out. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is tremendous Karen. The layering is stunning and I absolutely love how you used the stamp to press into the embossing. Such great texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Seth!! That is one of my favorite techniques!

      Delete
  3. The Stamp in the Embossing looks fantastic x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really knocked this one out of the ballpark Karen. Extra points for coolness!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...